- Make Sure You and Your Family are Weather-Aware
- Know the Difference Between Watches and Warnings
- Stay Away from Doors and Windows
- Practice Your Family's Emergency Response
The key to remaining safe during weather events is to be weather aware – knowing when storms and inclement weather are predicted a day or more in advance, factoring your response into your daily plans. In this article, we will discuss five more weather tips for Wellington and anyone in western North Carolina:
5) Stay Indoors During Lightning and Hail
It seems that wind damage often receives the most press, but lightning is the leading ca7senof harm during thunderstorms. A storm does not need to be classified as severe for lightning to be a danger. The safest place during storms with lightning and hail is inside your home. In general, if you can hear thunder, seek shelter. Stay indoors for twenty minutes after the last round of thunder.
6) Consider Where You Will Evacuate
In manufactured homes, if heavy wind is in the forecast, it is important to consider an alternative location when storms develop. Do not wait till the last minute. Have a plan in place for friends and family to visit in case of wind-driven storms as well as a nearby restaurant, store, community center, or other secure location.
7) Repair Storm Damage Before the Next One
Roof, window, and other storm damage can weaken your home, making it more susceptible to additional damage during the next weather event. Make sure you clean up debris and have damage repaired as soon as possible.
8) Have an Emergency Storm Kit Available
Your emergency kit should include the following:
- Flashlights and extra batteries
- Candles and lamps (make sure you put out open flames before bed)
- Non-perishable foods
- First aid
- Battery powered radio
- Board games and toys for the kids
9) Use a NOAA Weather Radio, Especially at Night
Sometimes severe weather strikes at night, so it is important to utilize something like a weather radio that will sound and alert when watches and warnings are issued. You family will be safest, if you are able to minimize weather surprises.
If you are interested in more information about how we practice weather safety at Wellington, contact us. If you are interested in affordable homeownership in the growing Asheville area, check out our listings.