1) Take Your Kids to PARI (Pisgah Astronomical Research Institute):
Developed and formerly operated by NASA, the Pisgah Astronomical Research Institute offers fun and education for all ages. Families can walk through the large model solar system, see how NASA used to communicate with astronauts from the facility, and hike the site grounds to the observation deck for great views of the mountains. PARI also offers evening star-gazing events with scientists.
2) Take Your Kids to Chimney Rock
Chimney Rock is one of the most famous attractions in western North Carolina, and when you see it, you can see why. Spectacular views of the rock and from its summit are only the beginning of the fun offered for you and your family. Besides the giant staircase (or elevator) to the top, go to Chimney Rock this spring to explore:
- The Great Woodland Adventure Trail: A kid-friendly hike with a lot of fun learning.
- Grady’s Animal Discovery Den: Learn more about and interact with fun animals.
- The Climbing Tower: If you’re not climbing the rock itself, try the climbing tower at Chimney Rock.
- Kids in Parks TRACK Trails: This program allows kids to learn and work their way through fun park curriculum.
To learn more about the numerous adventures at Chimney Rock, visit their website.
3) Take Your Kids to the Biltmore Estate
The Vanderbilts built quite a house in Asheville, NC in the late Nineteenth Century. With an indoor bowling alley and swimming pool, your kids will love every minute of their tour of the Biltmore Estate. Besides the house itself, the grounds feature hiking and mountain bike trails, greenways, wineries, and a lot more to see, eat, and learn.
4) Take Your Kids to See a Waterfall
Drive any direction from Wellington Estates and you are likely to find one of western North Carolina’s hundreds of waterfalls. From Lineville and Crabtree Falls north on the parkway, to Sliding Rock and Turtle Back falls just past Brevard, Wellington is convenient to many beautiful waterfalls and swimming holes.
Even if you do not have time to work your way through this list, Wellington has a great common area, friendly for kids and families. Enjoy the weather and get outside this spring.